LLTI Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 19:54:53 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Denise Hamwey <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 15:45:11 -0800 (PST)
>From: Denise Hamwey <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: potential sources of funding for h.s. multimedia lab
>To: [log in to unmask]

Hello,

I teach foreign language in a high school in a suburb
north of Boston.  Our department head is trying to
secure funding for a new language laboratory facility
because our current lab is approximately 25 years old
and is extremely outdated.

We have begun meeting with reps to talk about their
products, and what we are discovering is that while we
would really like a multimedia lab with computers,
listening, and video capabilities, the amount we
believe we will receive from the school budget will
only be enough for a strictly "language lab" with
listening/recording capabilities only.  The reps we
have talked to have suggested that we phase in
computers at a later date, but we fear that once we
are given "what we asked for", the administration will
not be too open to funding computers at a later date.

We are now exploring the possibility of reaching out
to the business community to see if we can secure
donations in the form of money and/or computers.  We
have heard that some other schools may have secured
computers this way. Does anybody have any experience
doing this?  Also, if anyone is from the Boston area,
do you have any suggestions as to businesses we might
contact?

Any suggestions related to this or other forms of
securing funding would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Denise Hamwey