LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:27:44 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:12:22 -0600 (CST)
>From: Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5351 Language Instructor Compensation

------------------
We too are in the process of doing this.  Understand that LANGUAGE here
includes literature.  We have no separate faculty for fooling around with
theoretical concerns.

Modern Foreign Languages teachers have been teaching an average of 14
hours per semester, and keeping a minimum of 6 office hours.  This is a 4
course load (4, 4, 3, 3), though occasionally there is an extra course.

Our plan is to transform the 4-hour courses, so they will include 3
classroom hours and 2 lab hours per week, effectively reducing the faculty
preparation load to 12 hours.  Each faculty member will extend the number
of office hours, spending 3 of them in the lab.  This is a slight
modification of what we have seen in the sciences (except that it is 2 for
the sciences, and they must prepare and set up experiments).

This system will only work if we get a lab director, who will be half
time, spending 20 hours in the lab with no extra lab office hours. In
addition, the lab director will generally not be dealing with a lot of
individual student lab problems, unless there is a special need for
her/his technological expertese. While the lab director is there, there
will be student assistants and/or faculty there.

One problem is that we often have 4 preparations with our 4 classes

Probably 95% of our total number of language students and nearly all of
our lab clients will be students in classes where the class media is video
and CD centered. This will make the job of teachers working in the lab
relatively uncomplicated.

TBob

Bob Peckham
Director, The Globe-Gate Project