LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:55:35 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Violeta" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Violeta" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Apple-based question
>Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 05:55:58 +0200

------
Dear Jackie M. Tanner, LeeAnn, Francesco Scordato, K Thomas, Karl Fisher,
Stephane Charitos, =20

Thank you for your messages on the "barge board controversy". They were s=
informative and interesting to read. You really helped me a lot. Thank yo=
u.

Now I would like to post one more language message that consisits of thre=
questions that are apple-based.=20

 Some time ago I came across a quiz on the Internet. I found it at a site
for  teachers and students of English. The archive section is ready-made
for use in the classroom.
http://its-online.com  =20

Three of the questions in the Apple Quiz were difficult to answer. Neithe=
my students nor I knew the answers. So I decided to ask  native speakers =
of
English for help.=20

First,  the fourth question, about  "Apples and pears". Do you know the
rhyme? If you know it could you send the words to me? My students and I
will appreciate your answer.

4. "Apples and pears" is Cockney rhyming slang for=20
a.tables and chairs b.stairs c.steak and kidney pie
(b is the correct answer)=20

And the 8-th one - are you familiar with this dance? Could you describe i=
to me?
 8. What is the Big Apple?=20
a.a dance b.New York c.the new name for the artist formerly known as Prin=
ce
(a and b are the correct answers)=20

Next, who was R. Bradley? What was he famous for?=20
13. In 1718 Richard Bradley said: "I hold it almost impossible for the
English to live without it". What was it?=20
a. tea b. sex c. the apple
(c is the correct answer)

Now I am enclosing the Apple Quiz itself so that you may enjoy answering
its questions while eating your Thanksgiving apple pie.=20

Best wishes,

Violeta Tsoneva, Ph. D.
EFL Teacher
German Language High School
26 Pozitano St
Sofia 1000, Bulgaria
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

-------------------------------------
'A' is for Apple

18th November is supposedly the day when William Tell shot the apple off
his son's head (1307). How much do you know about apples? Find out in our
special apple quiz. When you've completed the quiz, check your answers. I=
you get more than 10 correct then eat an apple immediately.

1) In Altdorf (Switzerland) you can see a bronze statue of a man on the
spot where he shot an apple off his son's head with a bow and arrow. What
was his name?=20
a.Robin Hood b.William Tell c.Beau Anareau

2) The goddesses Hera, Athena and Aphrodite all wanted a golden apple tha=
was marked "for the fairest". Who had to judge which of the three was the
most beautiful?=20
a.Paris of Texas b.Paris of Troy c.Paris of France

3) The golden apple in the previous question is called the "apple of
discord". In which city in Spain can you find the apple of discord?=20
a. Barcelona b.Seville c.Santiago de Compostela

4) "Apples and pears" is Cockney rhyming slang for=20
a.tables and chairs b.stairs c.steak and kidney pie

5) Which pop group created a record label called Apple?=20
a.The Beatles b.The Rolling Stones c.The Beach Boys

6) If you say that someone is the "apple of your eye", what do you mean?=20
a.You like them very much. b.You don't like them very much. c.You think t=
he
person is mad.

7) Apple trees have been cultivated for their fruit for centuries. Which =
of
the following is not a type of apple?=20
a. French Golden Delicious b.Cox c.King Charles

8) What is the Big Apple?=20
a.a dance b.New York c.the new name for the artist formerly known as Prin=
ce

9) Which three countries are the leading apple producers in Europe?=20
a.France, Germany and Italyb.Britain, France and Switzerlandc.Greece, Chi=
na
and the United States

10) What do you do with an Applejack?=20
a.drink itb.use it to change a tyre on a carc.kill it

11) Who formed the Apple computer company in 1976?=20
a.Bill Gatesb.Steven Jobs and Stephen Wozniakc.Richard Branson

12) After creating Gibraltar and Ceuta, Hercules had to steal the golden
apples that were guarded by the Hesperides. Who did he ask to help him?=20
a.Cesidusb. Aznus c.Atlas

13) In 1718 Richard Bradley said: "I hold it almost impossible for the
English to live without it". What was it?=20
a.tea b.sex c.the apple

14) Complete this American phrase: An apple a day keeps the ___________
away.=20
a. dentist b.doctor c.neighbour's dog

15) What did Isaac Newton discover when an apple fell on his head?=20
a.cerebral headachesb.law of probabilityc.universal gravitation.

16) When do people go ducking for apples?=20
a. Hallowe'en b.Thanksgiving c.New Year's Day

17) Where is your Adam's apple?=20
a. in your head b.between your stomach and your liver c.in your neck

Now check your answers

Answers

1 - b; 2 - b; 3 - a; 4 - b; 5 - a; 6 - a; 7 - c; 8 - a and b; 9 - a; 10 -
a; 11 - b; 12 - c; 13 - c; 14 - b; 15 - c; 16 - a; 17 - c.=20

=BF its-online 1997 - All rights reserved.