LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:55:40 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:56:05 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: JLK and MS Word '98 woes

Dear listeros:

We're having a problem with JLK that's driving us nuts.  I've looked on the
Apple Tech Info site and in the LLTI archives but have only one puny lead.
Any ideas?

We're running OS 8.1 (higher versions don't support PC compatibility cards,
which we need to keep) and recently put on JLK 1.2.

Since the installation, we have started having strange crashes in Word '98.
Most of the time, these are related to use of the proofing tools and take
one of several forms (in order of frequency):

(1) When we open a document, set the language and try to spell-check, Word
shuts down with a type 2 system error.

(2) We open a document, set the language, and then try to spell-check, but
nothing happens, even though there are spelling errors in the document.
When we go back to check the language settings, our previous language
setting has been lost and the document is set for the default language.

(3) We launch Word, and start to type in the new document window, and word
shuts down with a type 2 system error.

The only possible lead I have at this point is that there may be a conflict
between the JLK extensions and certain LaserWriter printer extensions.  But
we don't have the LW extensions of the version mentioned, and the problem
is specific to Word, rather than being system-wide.

Help!

Samantha

Samantha Earp
Languages & Culture Studies