LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:53:52 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Jessamine Cooke-Plagwitz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:25:09 -0500
>From: "Jessamine Cooke-Plagwitz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: One more Chinese question

------------------
I've been working with a colleague here trying to get him happily set up with a Mac-based word processor that he can use for typing documents in Chinese.  He's currently working with Word Perfect, but, of course, that program seems to be going the way of the dodo - at least for the Mac.  He's not particularly happy with the Nisus Writer, and we haven't been able to get MS Word to cooperate really well.  We tried both Word and PowerPoint, and were marginally able to copy Chinese characters from SimpleText and paste them into those two programs.  Still, the results weren't 100%.  What is the absolute best choice for Chinese word processing (in your opinions)?  Are there versions of PowerPoint (or other presentation programs) that work nicely with Chinese characters?  I'll happily take suggestions for both Mac and PC platforms.

Thanks so much!
Jessamine

Jessamine Cooke-Plagwitz, Ph.D.
Academic Director
Ted Mimms Foreign Language Learning Center
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
Office: 803/ 777-1363 or 803/ 777-2083
Fax: 803/ 777-8021