LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:53:42 EST
I think that this set of questions goes beyond the capabilities of a list. I would suggest that subscribers get in touch with Stephane directly and would suggest to Stephane that he keeps the list informed of what he finally decides to do. (I, too, am every interested!)

Otmar

We are in the process of designing a digital lab as part of a larger
Language Resource Center here at Columbia.

Ideally, we would like for the facility to have both a number of
authoring areas for faculty as well as a small, yet complete, AV
studio where they would have the opportunity of producing original
sound and video recordings.

Could I ask anyone to share any expertise he or she might have in
setting up and equipping such a space?

More particularly we are interested in getting feedback on the
following questions:

1) What are the minimum space requirement for a video production studio?

2) Is there any particular layout we should privilege?

3) Can we record sound in the same area where we shoot video or
should we keep the two area separate?

4) What would you consider an ideal equipment list (shooting and
editing), and should we fail to secure funding for the whole list,
what would be the minimal equipment we should purchase?

5) Do you have pricing information (ball park figure) available on
that equipment?

6) Are there any special concerns we should pay particular attention
to (soundproof, lighting, etc.)

I know all of this sounds very vague and not well thought out, but I
assure you we have spend some time thinking about it. However, while
we have an idea of what we want to do, we simply want to make sure we
have a good grasp on the whole topic before we commit ourselves.

Many thanks in advance.

Stephane Charitos
Dr. Stephane Charitos, Director
Language Resource Center