LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:34:10 EST
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:56:01 -0500
>From: John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI Editor <[log in to unmask]>,        TESLCA-L Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Online computer skills quizzes

------------------
Like many of my counterparts at other labs, I spend a great deal of time
with faculty CALL training. For several years I've had various computer
use quizzes kicking around, and I finally got around to creating a
JavaScript version of these online using Half Baked Software's (free)
Hot Potatoes (http://web.uvic.ca/hrd/halfbaked/) software.  Some HTML
and JavaScript editing with DreamWeaver and BBEdit was needed, but you
can use HotPot without venturing quite so far.

There are a total of 68 questions divided up among 5 quizzes and 3 quiz
types: Multiple choice, matching, and a crossword puzzle. Some of the
questions refer specifically to life on the Macintosh, while many
others, including the entire CW puzzle, are not platform specific. The
MC questions include comments prompted by a correct response. The
quizzes use frames and JavaScript, so Navigator or IE 4.0 or higher for
Mac or PC will work.

I wrote these questions specifically for our faculty here, but I think
they may be useful to faculty and high-level students elsewhere as well.
I welcome any comments, questions, or suggestions.

    http://www.bu.edu/celop/C_quiz/

John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph (617) 353-7957 fx (617) 353-6195
Lab:  http://www.bu.edu/celop/MLL
CTG:  http://www.bu.edu/celop/CTG