LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 14:25:37 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Phade Orion Vader <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
At 10:17 AM 11/10/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from Scott Smith <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date:         Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:25:01 -0500
>>From: Scott Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject:      Lab survey
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>Hello Everyone
>I am hoping to gather as much information as I can on Lab setup and
>maintenance.  What I want to know is what type of lab are you using
>(tandberg ect..) and do you use analog or digital audio?  It would be nice
>to hear some reviews of your equipment and troubleshooting techniques.  We
>are hoping to compile enough info to do a lab upgrade here at UBC
>Thanks
>Scott Smith
>ELI UBC
>CANADA

Hello, Scott.  Greetings from Texas Tech University.  We have started the
process of renovating our entire facility and will also expand in the
coming year, almost doubling in size.  I was appointed as Director in 1990,
and from the beginning, we did the same thing you are speaking of
here--studying what's out there, what your own needs are, and where you
want to be going.  Our search began then, in 1990, and now, years later, we
are finally seeing real progress.

Our goal is to have a superlative, hybrid facility rich in multimodal
opportunities--fancy jargon for plenty of ways of doing things so that all
types of learners--and faculty--will find what they need.

Our audio lab is a 60-position ASC DI8 system, and we love it.  We've had
it for a little over a year now.  I believe it's proof positive of what is
often said about the quality of German engineering.  It's certainly true
with the DI8.

This particular lab is analog, which is something we needed at the time of
purchase, and something we will continue to need for awhile.  We have a lot
of testing processes and certification programs that simply require good
old fashioned cassettes, plus there are a number of us here that believe
there are still some very good uses and creative applications for this
technology.

But, digital technology is also a must.  Our expansion will involve adding
two computerized classrooms, creating another 50-60 stations.  These labs
will also incorporate language hardware from ASC--the digital version of
the DI8 student-side recorders {no recorders, all computers}.  The new labs
will be designed to function as contained group instructional settings,
extensions of the existing audio facility, and for independent student use,
whatever mode is needed.

Our current audio lab is the ASC DI8, which is computer-controlled
throughout, including the student cubicle DI8 recorders {full computers
soon to follow as well, so we'll have both}.  I don't want to appear to
shamelessly banner one vendor over another, but our lab committee spent the
better part of the previous eight years prior to our commitment both
begging for the funds for this, and researching practically every system
available.  We believed then and still believe ASC is the way for us to go.

As pertains maintenance and trouble-shooting for ASC equipment:  I have
never experienced customer support like we receive from ASC.  There are
free software updates for the life of the system, numerous training
opportunties, and for the problems we have had, they have bent over
backwards to make sure they were resolved completely to our satisfaction.

The people in both USA offices {San Antonio and Atlanta} are attentive and
committed, something we were scanning for as we watched demonstration after
demonstration from different vendors over the years.   Support problems
were an issue in the previous equipment, and this was a focal point in our
reviews.

In fact, one favorite story I have is about their handling of a software
interface problem.  The morning after we reported the problem, I received a
call from someone at ASC wanting to talk me through the setup process to
make sure things worked as they should.  I thought "That's prompt of
them... good."  Little did I know... I was amazed to find out that this
long distance call was very long distance--it came directly from Hosbach,
Germany {home of ASC}, and I wasn't talking to a support technician.  I was
speaking with the senior engineer who birthed the DI8 system.  {I almost
felt like I was talking to a celebrity or something.}  No corporate
politics or smoochy titles to get in the way, just bright people who want
to take care of their customers.  Needless to say, our confidence in ASC
support is unshakeable.

Personally, I am excited about our partnership with ASC because I can
really tell the Germans are having a blast working in the digital arena.
Some of their products are and will be just amazing.

Internally as far as daily life goes, we have a fairly elaborate protocol
for maintaining the lab-- technically, hygeine wise, and aesthetically.  We
often see several hundreds of students per day, so keeping everything in
order has been important.  Please feel free to E-mail with any specific
questions and I will be glad to share our experiences and what we are doing.

Best of luck in your efforts to update your language facility.

Phade Orion Vader, Director
Language Learning Laboratory
Texas Tech University
Phone 806 742 3151