LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:56:47 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Stephane Charitos <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:02:19 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Stephane Charitos <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5340 A Language Question

>Hi everybody,
>
>I would like to ask you for help.
>
>Some of my students asked me to help them with the
>vocabulary of a text they had found on the Internet. It is about
>Formula 1 - in this sport I am a layman, I confess. I found some phrases
>and
>words difficult to understand. I think you might spend some time on helping
>me even at a distance.
>The Formula 1 site is at
>http://ww5.formula1.com/news/headlins99/japan/story889_Japan_26-10-99..html
>The first one is:
>"Everyone had an opinion on the BARGE BOARD CONTROVERSY, an affair which
>ensured that Formula1 stayed firmly in the global imagination as a panel of
>judges in Paris decided to keep the 1999 title alive to Suzuka."
>
>Could you try to cut this sentence into 2 or 3 sentences, or paraphrase it
>for me so that I could understand the meaning of the bold face words? I
>know what a barge is, and I know what a barge board is - "a board, often
>ornate, attached along the barge couples of a gabled roof, as in Gothic
>architecture". I have two guesses: a BARGE BOARD CONTROVERSY means a keen
>controversy (keen debate and gabled roof ?); a BARGE BOARD CONTROVERSY
>means a piece of  information displayed on the information board (a barge
>board looks beautiful, as it is ornate and it resembles a front page of a
>newspaper, a place where the main headlines are ?).
>
>Best wishes,

Hi:

A barge board is another word for a turning vane on a Formula 1 race
car. In other words, it is a piece of the car's body which helps the
car negotiate tight turns at high speeds (see attached picture).

Ferrari designed and used one during the Malaysian Grand Prix which
the other teams claimed did not fit the exact specifications allowed.
Their car (which had won the race) was disqualified only to be later
reinstated as the winner after Ferrari won an appeal. Thus the race
for the Formula 1 team title was kept alive (by not taking the points
of the win away from team Ferrari) until Suzuka which is the name of
the Japanese Grand Prix race course. The Suzuka Grand Prix is held
after the Malaysian Grand Prix.

The controversy in the above phrase clearly refers to whether the
barge boards on the Ferraris were of legal size or not.

Take care,

Stephanos