LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:34:47 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Violeta" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Violeta" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum             " <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: LLTI Digest - 15 Nov 1999 to 16 Nov 1999 (#1999-121)
>Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:03:46 +0200

------------------
Hi everybody,

I would like to ask you for help.

Some of my students asked me to help them with the
vocabulary of a text they had found on the Internet. It is about
Formula 1 - in this sport I am a layman, I confess. I found some phrases
and
words difficult to understand. I think you might spend some time on helping
me even at a distance.
The Formula 1 site is at
http://ww5.formula1.com/news/headlins99/japan/story889_Japan_26-10-99..html
The first one is:
"Everyone had an opinion on the BARGE BOARD CONTROVERSY, an affair which
ensured that Formula1 stayed firmly in the global imagination as a panel of
judges in Paris decided to keep the 1999 title alive to Suzuka."

Could you try to cut this sentence into 2 or 3 sentences, or paraphrase it
for me so that I could understand the meaning of the bold face words? I
know what a barge is, and I know what a barge board is - "a board, often
ornate, attached along the barge couples of a gabled roof, as in Gothic
architecture". I have two guesses: a BARGE BOARD CONTROVERSY means a keen
controversy (keen debate and gabled roof ?); a BARGE BOARD CONTROVERSY
means a piece of  information displayed on the information board (a barge
board looks beautiful, as it is ornate and it resembles a front page of a
newspaper, a place where the main headlines are ?).

Best wishes,

Violeta Tsoneva, Ph. D.
EFL Teacher
German Language High School