LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:17:39 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Type your name here <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 18:40:26 -0500
>From: Type your name here <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5296.19 Tech. and Enhanced Student Learning (!)

------------------
Dear Colleagues,

As part of an experiment that Professor Caroline Grace and I are putting
together, we were wondering if a program exists that is able to make
judgments of correctness of vocabulary learned in a CALL envrionment.
For example, if you have a student who was supposed to write a word,
say, "cat", and he writes "kat". How could this be scored and does such
a program exist that might be able to score it, perhaps on a scale of
1-10?  Or with larger words, such as "take" which might be spelled
"teak" or "taek."  Is this possible, especially as this complicates
itself with larger and larger words?
        Also, it seems that to smaller lexical items, a missing letter is more
crucial to the comprehensibility of the word.  Can this be weighted by a
program as well?

I would appreciate any feedback you might have.

Sincerely, Alan
FLL DEPT
Purdue University