LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:17:35 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Michael Bush <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 14:18:06 -0700
>From: Michael Bush <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5296.16 Technology and Enhanced Student Learning (!)
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Cindy Jorth wrote in reponse to TBob's comment on the issue of Thomas
Russell's long-running research on the "no significant difference
phenomenon":
> Someone else sent me that URL.  Here you go
> http://cuda.teleeducation.nb.ca/nosignificantdifference/

> Interesting information, but I agree that it isn't actually all that
> compelling.

Not compelling? Having education available to many numbers of people who do
not otherwse have the opportunity to participate?  I find it incredibly
compelling to realize that "no signigicant difference" means that as much
learning can take place in these distance education settings as can take
place on campus.

To me this means that we had better define precisely the unit of competitive
advantage of our on-campus education (something hopefully more compelling
than clubs and intercollegiate sports, although I support all of these),
otherwise we will be hardpressed to justify our existence!

Not compelling?

Cheers,

Mike
Michael Bush