LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:17:33 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Francois Crompton-Roberts" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
> Does someone have a WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS macro that would "split
> open" an overstrike to put the two characters side-by-side?
> Does anyone have an idea, or a trick, or an existing macro for
> changing, for instance, [Ovrstk:m~] in the bottom half of a
> reveal-codes screen into the same thing in the upper half?

Isn't the 'Net wonderful! I would like to thank all those who gave
me advice both on-list and off with my problem. The best solution was
"Import the file into WordPerfect 8, then you can fix the overstrikes
and Save As WP5.1". It worked a treat. (I would have thanked you all
publicly earlier if I hadn't had to dash off urgently to Germany on
family business in the middle of all this!)

Note for the cognoscenti: With WP8, the overstriking "~" accent was in
a fixed position, so the result didn't look too good on letters with
ascenders ("l" and "t" mainly), but when the file was re-imported into
WP5.1 the accents 'floated' up to sit on top of the letters, so it was
all right in the end. Incidentally, would someone know the WP8
"Ctrl-W" ("compose") codes for the dotless "i" and dotless "j"
characters? My joy would be complete!

Francois C-R