LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 13:40:22 EST
--- Forwarded Message from <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 13:32:39 EST
>Subject: Re: #5298.1 CAN 8 (!)

------------------
We are using can8 on a NT base system since September and so far we
didn't have any crash$B7

The only problem we got is one of space on the server. We are using
the lab for 12 languages, More than 1600 students at about 200-250
students a day. Our class are programmed in a way that all students
record their voice almost at all time so it generate BIG amount of
files. So we had to by a new server of 76 gig to replace the original
one of 4 gig and we should be ok for at least a year. Except for that
and the few files lost bcs the server was full we didn't have any
major crash.

To describe the software I will say that:
1- very good for the students easy to understand and to used
2- A bit more complicated on the instructor side, some commands are
not easy to understand, even for me who work in it all the time, and
some create confusion and can result in bigger problems 3- The
administrative side need to be worked on, import of student from class
list, stats, etc are not perfect and not easy to used I have a tech
who work for me and he had trouble to figure out the way of doing the
import of student, and when you do that import during the semester
(after the drop ad time) it create also other problems...

But I have to say that CAN8 gives us a maximum of support and answers
to ours phones calls or emails very fast (same day most of the time)
and also that we closed the old audio lab and opened the computer one
without transition and period of test. So we are learning on the way.

The reaction to the changes and to the software is great as well. The
Students and teachers love it!

I don't think the software only version is ready yet ? I have ask
yesterday and the told me in a week or 2. Do you have an other answer
for that?

Yannick Roy
Coordonnateur Art Multimedia language Facility
English and French Language Centre
McGill University
Tel.: 398-4809;