LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 13:40:29 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "J. Scott Payne" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 09:35:46 -0800
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum             <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "J. Scott Payne" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Tech. and Enhanced Student Learning

------------------
And after reading "Technopoly" and "The End of Education: Redefining The
Value of School" from Neil Postman as Johan Viljoen suggested, then read
"School's out : hyperlearning, the new technology, and the end of
education" from Lewis Perelman.

Like any technological innovation, CAI was first used to do the same thing
more efficiently.  If we change how we approach the task, the true power of
technology enhanced learning can be realized.  The key aspect is the third
word of the previous sentence - "change."  This means expanding our view of
L2 instruction.

A question for the list:  Under what circumstances is face-to-face L2
instruction imperative for SLA?

J. Scott Payne
Washington State University
Email: [log in to unmask]