LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 13:40:07 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Roby <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "Johan Viljoen" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 16:31:33 +0200
> >From: "Johan Viljoen" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Re: #5296.9 Technology and Enhanced Student Learning (!)
>
> ------------------

> Although this discussion is about technology in language learning, the broader issues around technology-enhanced learning inform the debate.
>
> Perhaps the following information might be useful on the Clark-Kozma issue.
>
> In the journal Educational Technology Research and Development,
> Vol. 42, No. 2 (1994) there appeared a series of articles on this
> issue, among others one each by Richard E. Clark and Robert
> Kozma themselves:
>
> Clark, R.E. Media will never influence learning.
> [E-mail me for a short summary of this one.]
>
> Kozma, R.B. Will media influence learning? Reframing the debate.

Johan has done us all in the field of foreign language pedagogy a service
by pointing out that the debate on the effectiveness of technology has
been raging for many years in broader circles.

In his first posting, #5296.5 he noted the debate between Clark and Kozma
which started in 1984.  Those who are interested in how this got started
would do well to go back a year earlier and look at Clark's Winter, 1983
article in the Review of Educational Research, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp.
445-459, "Reconsidering Research on Learning from Media."  The strength of
this article is that it pushes the clock back even further, to the media
comparison studies of the 1960s.  He also summarizes meta-analyses of the
media comparison studies.

> A number of prominent educational technologists and instructional
> designers contributed to the debate in ETR&D, 42:2. Unfortunately
> the journal is only available in print, but I am sure your library will
> be able to get you copies of the articles.

The effort will be worth it because this is the leading journal in the
field.  It was known as AVCR when it was founded (in 1953 as I recall)
until 1978 when the name was changed to ECTJ.  It became ETR&D in the late
80s or early 90s.  The issues we are discussing in this forum have
appeared in one form or another throughout the history of this organ.

> If you would like to find out more about Clark, Kozma and other
> gurus you are welcome to visit the Who's Who in Instructional
> Technology at
>
> http://hagar.up.ac.za/catts/learner/m1g1/whointro.html

cut cut cut

> If you really want to read some anti-technology views, Neil
> Postman is your man! The best would be to feed his name to a
> search engine, e.g. Dogpile (www.dogpile.com)

By all means David Shenk's book "Data Smog" should be cited for critiques
in the same vein.

> Regards
>
> Johan Viljoen

Warren B. Roby, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
Washington State University
PO Box 642610
Pullman, WA 99164-2610

Tel. 509-335-8672
Fax  509-335-3708
http://www.wsu.edu/~roby/

"Oh, the thinks you can think!"  Dr. Seuss