LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:13:22 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Otmar K. E. Foelsche ---

>Date: 01 Nov 1999 09:51:37 EST
>From: Otmar K. E. Foelsche
>Subject: Paradoja CD-ROM
>To: LLTI-Editor

--- Forwarded Message from Margarita Ribas Groeger <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 22:53:29 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Margarita Ribas Groeger <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Paradoja CD-ROM
>Sender: [log in to unmask]

Greetings!
        I would like to announce to members of the list that the "Paradoja"
CD-ROM developed for Intermediate and Advanced Spanish language and culture
courses,is now available.
        "Paradoja",is a CD-ROM based on the documentary, "Miss Universo en
el Peru", which uses the 1982 pageant in Peru to examine critically, among
other things, sex role stereotypes in the media as well as the
socio-economic divide between the largely Spanish-descended elite and the
mostly Indian urban and rural poor. Material can be explored through
multiple entry paths. The video materials include televised reports of the
beauty contest and interviews with the organizers, contestants, journalists
and representatives of women's groups.This primary material has been
adapted for student use with a full annotated transcript, a bilingual
dictionary that allows students to search any word in the text, and an
information menu from which students can access additional resources, such
as historical, social and cultural information on Peru, as well as maps and
pictures. Activities for students to complete as they progress through the
program have also been incorporated. The program contains links to
pertinent pages on the World Wide Web.
        "Paradoja" was developed at M.I.T.'s Language Learning and Resource
Center with funding from the Consortium for Language Teaching and Learning
and from the Foreign Languages and Literatures Section at M.I.T.
        It is designed for Intermediate to Advanced level (fourth semester
and above) and can be used in the classroom or assigned for use
independently or in small groups. "Paradoja" is only available to
educational institutions and faculty members or teaching staff of
educational institutions.
        For a full description,license and order form please visit our web
site at: http://polyglot.mit.edu/html/paradoja/paradoja.htm

System Requirements:
Macintosh PowerPC running System 7.1 or later
2X CD-ROM player
16 MB free space on hard disk
16 MB RAM recommended (7 MB free RAM for "Paradoja" --additional RAM as
required by your system and web browser)
screen resolution set to 640x480 (optimal)
Macintosh only, no PC version available

Margarita Ribas Groeger
Coordinator of Spanish
Foreign Languages and Literatures