LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:13:16 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Barbara Vigano <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 07:33:09 -0800
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Barbara Vigano <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5290.2 Language Lab digital upgrade (!)

------------------
Hi, our Language Learning Center has just started using Divace by Tandberg
at the beginning of this semester.
The time it takes to digitize is the real time it takes to play the audio
and video tapes, no acceleration possible.
One drawback: the Divace device handles only wav and MP2 files, not MP3.
That means that you have to acquire a big audio server.
There is a new product out, Divace Duo, which does handle MP3 files. But,
we are told, MP3 files do not allow for the "repeat" function which is
vital in language learning. It is advisable to research this thoroughly.

Barbara Vigano
Prof. of French
Mt. San Antonio College
Walnut, CA 91789