LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:27:17 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 17:33:13 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5287 Help with a WP5.1 macro

------------------
You can replace using the "repeat action" feature (something like that) which enables you to repeat a search/replace (for example) the specified number of times.  I don't have WP5.1 handy to check this, but it can be done.  If you set it, say, at 50 times, then you let WP do the work.

The macro should be relatively easy as well, if a pure search/replace doesn't work.

BTW... you should be able to open these in a later version of WP and get the same results, unless you're worried about preserving other formatting.

Good luck!

>>> LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> 10/29/99 03:10PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Francois Crompton-Roberts" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Francois Crompton-Roberts" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:53:26 +0000
>Subject: Help with a WP5.1 macro

------------------
This is sort of outside the usual remit of LLTI but I am hoping
someone will have a solution to my plight. I desperately, urgently
need help as follows.

Does someone have a WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS macro that would "split
open" an overstrike to put the two characters side-by-side?

The problem I have is as follows: I have in my charge a professor who
is currently editing a book--a learned edition of a medieval Spanish
manuscript. The author of the book has sent him from Spain some
Wordperfect 5.1 files, 1.3Mb's worth, so there is quite a lot of
material.

Medieval Spanish has lots of different accents on top of many
different letters, particularly a tilde [~] over not just n but lots
of other letters too. The author has encoded these accents (in
addition to tilde, there are acute, grave, horizontal bars etc) as an
overstrike (shift-F8,4,5). Most of these work fine but alas, alas, the
tilde that he has chosen to overstrike with is the tilde character,
not the tilde accent ([CTRL-V],1,2), so that all his tilde accents
overprint the letters rather than sit on top of them.

I have been asked to "raise those tildes, please", but I'm at a loss
as to how to proceed. Searching does not look at the characters within
the [Ovrstk:xy] and although I can even replace _all_ the accents by
raised tildes, this is not what is wanted either. I can't afford
the time to do them one-by-one, there must be at least 50 accented
letters on each page and, as I said, there is over 1.3 Mb of text! We
used to use WP5.1 some five years ago but we've become awfully
rusty...

Does anyone have an idea, or a trick, or an existing macro for
changing, for instance, [Ovrstk:m~] in the bottom half of a
reveal-codes screen into the same thing in the upper half?

Undying gratitude will be afforded for any advice...

Francois C-R
Francois C-R
Francois C-R