LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:42:01 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Matthew Mattingly <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 14:32:52 -0500
>From: Matthew Mattingly <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5296 Technology and Enhanced Student Learning
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
You can tune into a perpetual discussion of these and (sometimes
tenuously-) related issues by subscribing to the IFETS list:
http://ifets.ieee.org/maillist.html

a good jumping off point to read up on this stuff is "Asking the Right
Question: What Does Research Tell Us About Technology and Higher
Learning?  by Stephen C. Ehrmann.

http://www.learner.org/edtech/rscheval/rightquestion.html

The literature tends to be *very* contentious and controversial.  The
"no significant difference" argument referred to in the answers to your
posts has its own website now,
http://cuda.teleeducation.nb.ca/nosignificantdifference/

and a positivist companion

http://cuda.teleeducation.nb.ca/significantdifference/

 I have had to produce appropriately footnoted and referenced memos on
this question before, and can provide you with more references if you
wish.  Do you think your Provost is likely to pore over your carefully
researched reply and and make informed decisions based on it? If so,
it's worth the effort.

Matthew

LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "Jorth, Cindy" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >From: "Jorth, Cindy" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: "'LLTI-Editor'" <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Technology and Enhanced Student Learning
> >Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:56:20 -0800
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have been asked to answer the following question from the Provost.
>
>         "How have instructors integrated technology into their teaching, and
> does the use of         technology enhance student learning?"   I.e. Whether
> or not the use of the technology
>         enhances student learning in some measurable and discernable way.
>
> The first half of the question is easy enough, it's the second half that
> gets murky.  As we all know, there's still much research still needed to
> actually correlate technology with improved student learning.  Any ideas on
> where I could start with this?  I've been asked to make this determination
> for the entire College of Humanities and Fine Arts, not just for my
> Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cindy

Matthew Mattingly                        [log in to unmask]
Director                                         (413) 542-8163
Five Colleges Multimedia Access Project      FAX (413) 542-2662
Box 2256                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        http://www.amherst.edu/~map
Amherst College
Amherst, MA 01002