LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:41:58 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 11:30:15 EST
>Subject: Re:      Re: #5290.6 Language Lab digital upgrade (!)
>To: [log in to unmask]

Patrick,

We are in the third year with an ASC DI-8 Lab in our school.  We have 38
positions, 24 of which have computers.  It's absolutely wonderful, & actually
has more functions than the Sony 2000 & Tandberg Labs, & we looked at all 3.
Ours is a tape Lab, but another school in our area has the digital lab, which
is the just the same, but  with both tape & digital capabilities (the DAVID).
 In the DI-8 you have 8 programs sources, 8 conference groups, telephone
calling system (where the students call from 1 booth to another), pairing
(random, teacher assigned, or side-by-side), Library, Analyzer, & Editor.
You can use all of these at once, so there is great flexibility.  It's new
technology, very space efficient, & our Lab is beautiful.  We also have a
dual teacher console, so that 2 different teachers can be operating the Lab
at the same time in any configuration.  We also utilize videos, a Vizcam,
etc.

I would be happy to talk to you & give you any other information you might
need.  Drake University has the same DI-8 Lab with the DAVID.  You can reach
Dr. Arther Hughes at [log in to unmask] for information about theirs.
Several other universities have the ASC Labs, & I'm certain they would be
happy to put you in touch with them.

I think that you would be impressed with everything the ASC Labs do.  The
President is George Washington (yes!).  His phone # is 1-800-344-1201, e-mail
[log in to unmask]  The Vice President is Concheta Lanpher, phone #
1-800-613-9554, e-mail [log in to unmask]  They give you great service
that doesn't end with the purchase.

I hope this helps!

Linda Gump
Foreign Language Department Chair