LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:27:14 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Moshe Nahir <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 10:06:00 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Moshe Nahir <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5290 Language Lab digital upgrade

------------------
I strongly recommend that you look into the CAN-8 system, which involves
software as well as a card in each computer in a lab. We installed the
system just over a year ago and we are very happy with it. It seems to be
capable of meeting your needs.
        Our contact has been Ms. Patricia  Macleod, Gentian Learning Systems,
Vancouver, Tel. 604 925 8723, e-mail: [log in to unmask]

>I would like to know if anyone is using a software package in conjunction
>with computer workstations, either Mac or PC, to deliver audio and/or video
>content to the students. I have digitized audio and video files, which work
>well in the independent study mode, but is there something I could use over
>a server to control what the student is doing, or would allow for
>instructor feedback/monitoring of the student activity? I realize that this
>is similar to a Sony or Tandberg lab setup, but before we took the plunge,
>we thought it would be worth a try to see if this approach is feasible.

>Kevin C. Carroll
>Senior Systems Technologist
>
>Wayne State University
>Foreign Language Technology Center
>385 Manoogian Hall
>Detroit, MI 48202

Moshe Nahir, Professor, Dept. of Linguistics
Director, the Language Centre
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, R3T 2N2
Tel: 204-474-9623, 488-7891, Fax: 204-487-1470
E-mail: [log in to unmask]