LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 08:48:57 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Michael Bush <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 08:35:58 -0700
>From: Michael Bush <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5296.4 Technology and Enhanced Student Learning (!)
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Cindy Jorth's provost asked her the following questions:
> "How have instructors integrated
> technology into their teaching, and
> does the use of technology enhance
> student learning?"   I.e. Whether
> or not the use of the technology
> enhances student learning in some
> measurable and discernable way.

Ursula Williams and Nina Garrett gave concise answers that are as good
(probably better!) as any I have ever seen.  The bottom line is that good
instruction is good instruction, no matter the medium of delivery.
Nevertheless, there are things that a teacher can do WITH technology that he
or she cannot do without it.  We can summarize technology use under the
heading, "enriching the language learning experience with the sounds and
images of the target culture."  In other words, we can do things today that
have been either difficult at best or impossible at worst in the past.  The
really fun thing is that we are just getting started, given that we are only
now pulling out of the Model A / Model T era of digital technology.  Sure,
technology has become increasingly available, but it has been expensive,
often difficult to use, and not always reliable.  Fortunately, all that is
changing fast.

The bottom line is that research has shown that there are things that the
technology can do at least as well as a teacher.  (For a look specific to
distance education see
http://cuda.teleeducation.nb.ca/nosignificantdifference/).  Yet we know in
our heart of hearts that there are things that a good teacher can do that
the technology will not be able to do for the foreseeable future.  The trick
is to figure out what those are so that instructional tasks can be assigned
accordingly.

The really cool part of it all, is that those things that a teacher does
best (activities that are dynamic, interactive, unpredictable, open-ended,
divergent) are also those things that are the most fun for the teacher to
accomplish.  Finally, Cindy's provost is not alone in wanting PROOF,
however, it is also becoming increasingly clear that programs can adapt to
the digital future or cease to exist: "Technology will not replace teachers.
Teachers who use technology will replace teachers who don't."  (We often
attribute that phrase to Ray Clifford, although I had a visitor at the Air
Force Academy who summarized things that way some time before Ray.  I am
reasonably sure that Ray is the first to get it into print.)

Cheers,

Mike
Michael Bush
Associate Professor of French and