LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 08:48:56 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Tommy B McDonell <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 09:00:12 -0500 (EST)
>From: Tommy B McDonell <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5296.2 Technology and Enhanced Student Learning (!)

------------------
This is in part what we are trying to measure in the research grant that
we are writing for New York University. We want to measure whether there
is more communication, not less as many ESL instructors feel, and then we
plan to evaluate the learning from the year we had no technology to now
while we do. We know that attendance has improved since we have added
computers etc.

Although I am truly not a researcher, I know from reading a lot of studies
that few of these studies actually have numbers, they seem to have
annecdotal evidence on improvement etc. But few language programs that do
have studies have control groups. At least that I've read.

I'm not sure that we would have to justify computers like we do pencils
and books if it weren't for funding. Ugh.

Tommy B. McDonell
Executive Director and Co-Founder
Learning English Adult Program, Inc., of NYC
254 West 29th Street, 3rd Fl
New York, NY 10001
http://www.weleap4esl.org
t:212/967-0149