LLTI Archives

November 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 08:04:29 EST
Here is some input from one of our students who has done some testing with System 9. I hope somebody at Apple is going to respond.

>Date: 02 Nov 1999 12:35:47 EST
>From: Brian S. Gray
>Subject: Japanese imput issues
>To: Otmar K. E. Foelsche

Hey Otmar,

Same issue as I mentioned to you before:

When typing the Japanese word "mukashimukashi," which is the first word of many children's stories, the System 9 Japanese input editor can NOT correctly convert the kana into kanji (the repeat symbol does not appear as an option). This worked fine on System 8.

In addition, simple kanji, such as "gatu," which should be converted to the kanji for "moon," is ALL the way at the bottom of the list of conversion choices, when it is probably the most common kanji for that particular reading. Issues like this make System 9 a major pain when it comes to typing Japanese.

Brian