LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:10:06 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Francois Crompton-Roberts" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Francois Crompton-Roberts" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:53:26 +0000
>Subject: Help with a WP5.1 macro

------------------
This is sort of outside the usual remit of LLTI but I am hoping
someone will have a solution to my plight. I desperately, urgently
need help as follows.

Does someone have a WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS macro that would "split
open" an overstrike to put the two characters side-by-side?

The problem I have is as follows: I have in my charge a professor who
is currently editing a book--a learned edition of a medieval Spanish
manuscript. The author of the book has sent him from Spain some
Wordperfect 5.1 files, 1.3Mb's worth, so there is quite a lot of
material.

Medieval Spanish has lots of different accents on top of many
different letters, particularly a tilde [~] over not just n but lots
of other letters too. The author has encoded these accents (in
addition to tilde, there are acute, grave, horizontal bars etc) as an
overstrike (shift-F8,4,5). Most of these work fine but alas, alas, the
tilde that he has chosen to overstrike with is the tilde character,
not the tilde accent ([CTRL-V],1,2), so that all his tilde accents
overprint the letters rather than sit on top of them.

I have been asked to "raise those tildes, please", but I'm at a loss
as to how to proceed. Searching does not look at the characters within
the [Ovrstk:xy] and although I can even replace _all_ the accents by
raised tildes, this is not what is wanted either. I can't afford
the time to do them one-by-one, there must be at least 50 accented
letters on each page and, as I said, there is over 1.3 Mb of text! We
used to use WP5.1 some five years ago but we've become awfully
rusty...

Does anyone have an idea, or a trick, or an existing macro for
changing, for instance, [Ovrstk:m~] in the bottom half of a
reveal-codes screen into the same thing in the upper half?

Undying gratitude will be afforded for any advice...

Francois C-R
Francois C-R
Francois C-R