LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:05:46 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Gordon Hartig) ---

>Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:57:00 -0400
>Subject: Attachments to E-Mail
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: [log in to unmask] (Gordon Hartig)

I would like your help with a puzzling situation.  I have been sending
documents created in Word 7.0 for Windows 95 to a colleague in England.
His ISP is AOL, and he had no trouble opening and reading the first two
files I sent him as attachments to e-mail messages.  These were sent from
my home address, where erols is my ISP and I use Netscape for e-mail.

Beginning with the third document, this colleague all of a sudden could no
longer open the Word 7.0 attachments, and he is getting a message he
doesn't understand about mime format.  I resorted to saving the document
as a text file and attaching that, but I would like to know why he can no
longer read Word 7.0 attachments.  I have forwarded these same e-mail
messages from home to my school address, where I can open the Word 7.0
attachments and read them with no trouble via Office 97.  And to my
knowledge I have followed the same procedure to attach and send all of the
Word 7.0 documents.

Is there a simple explanation for this problem?   Any ideas about things
to check either on my end or his?  Thanks.

Gordon Hartig
Language Lab Coordinator
Middlesex Community College
33 Kearney Square