LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:30:46 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Karin Thomeier <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:18:06 -0200
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Karin Thomeier <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: suggestions for word processor in lab

------------------

Hi Pia,

Here in the Multimedia Language Centre at Memorial we do
have a "second language only" policy for any word processing and e-mail
that students want to do.
Use of the Network Assistant helps us to monitor what apps are being
launched and whether students are having difficulty; student staff also
circulate around the 32 Mac stations to keep an eye out for inappropriate
use.
We have been using ClarisWorks as our main word processing
app, and it seems to work well for those few who venture at it.
Most students are more familiar with Word (which we don't have) and
WordPerfect and tend therefore to shy away from relative unknowns like Claris.
Ours is an older version (3.0), but has a wide range of font styles
that include Cyrillic and other less commonly taught languages.
Russian is the most exotic language taught here; we have no need
for Japanese or Chinese fonts as yet. This term there is a Gaelic course,
though. Pretty cool!
THe MLC also has a small number of stations with WordPerfect 3.5 for Mac on
them.  Both apps work fine on our LC630's and Power Mac 6100s; the advantage
of Claris is that it is not a memory hog like some of the fancier word
processors. Simple and effective.

Best regards,
Karin
--