LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:29:46 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Thom Thibeault <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:55:46 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Thom Thibeault <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5264 iMacs w/ DVD?

------------------
My understanding is that there is no DVD equivalent to the Voyager
Videostack for laserdisc. One person who is doing DVD authoring through a
special arrangement is Harold Hendricks at BYU. I think he's on this list.
I am ordering iMacs with DVD drives and will use the standard US discs with
the multitrack, multilanguage option. That will limit somewhat my options
on disks but it will eliminate the regional standard problem.

>Hi,
>
>I remember some discussion a while back about the advantages and
>disadvantages of DVD players. My question concerns the DVD as an option
>for computer configs.
>
>The problem, as I recall, was whether or not regional standards would
>still make direct use of (European?) DVD disks a problem in the  LRC.
>What was the upshot of that discussion?  If I order an iMac with a DVD
>drive, will I be able to author programs based on imported DVD material
>as I currently do for laserdiscs?
>
>I would appreciate any suggestions/comments about this.  Thanks!
>
>Norval BARD
>Director, Myers LRC
>North Central College

Thom Thibeault, Ph.D.
Director, New Media Center/Language Media Center
College of Liberal Arts
Southern Illinois University
Mailcode 4507
Carbondale, IL 62901-4507