LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:29:36 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Michael Bush" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
Norval Bard [log in to unmask] wrote:
> If I order an iMac with a DVD drive, will I be able
>  to author programs based on imported DVD material
> as I currently do for laserdiscs?

This is an interesting question.  I went through a few moments of
disappointment this summer when I realized that our Toshiba Tecra 750 laptop
would not play Region 2 (European) DVDs.  A little research on the Web led
me to a program that allows me to switch regions.  I also found a site that
documents how to change the registry under Windows to switch between the
regions, theoretically making it easy to write a small program take care of
the switch on pretty much any machine.  Given that Microsoft has prepared
DVD support as part of DirectShow, DVD control on Windows machines should
become very easy, similar to what we have done with videodisc.

Also, when I display the output from the Tecra on a TV monitor using the
machine's "Video Out" jack, the image rolls.  When I use the D-9 VGA plug to
an LCD projector or scan converter for a monitor, the image is perfect.

What does this all this have to do with iMac?  People in the know in the DVD
world have told me that it seems that Apple is about 6 months behind on
implementing DVD on their products, implying to me that anything possible
under Windows today should be very soon possible on Macs.

For additional information, I am posting your query on the DVD SIG list that
I follow.

Cheers,

Mike
Michael Bush