LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:19:55 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Thomas E Griffin <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:07:21 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Thomas E Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Survey about lab usage

I would like to thank the approximately thirty people who responded to my
survey questions last week.  The information is very helpful in our
department's evaluation of lab usage policies.  We are going to mandate
(hopefully) more instructor participation in assignment creation, since I
(a mild-mannered BA degreed civil servant working for a large metropolitan
university) am not from Krypton and I can't do everything myself.  The
information you provided will help back up the proposal for policy change
(I initiated the first change from seat time requirements to assignments
but we have tripled the language offerings for beginning courses in the
past two years.  I only know three out of the nine languages we offer at
NEIU and my staff is a revolving door line of workstudy students.

I want the assignment requirement to be kept intact but at the course
level, where instructors create and maintain assignments while I assist
them. No one in the world "teaches" (as I have been doing for the lab
assignments) 25 classes at the 100 level.  I had a good idea but your
survey helps me to refine it.

Thank you very much
Muchas gracias (accent needed: PINE is worthless for FL E-Mail)
Merci beaucoup
Danke schoen
Mila grazie
and all other tanslations of this phrase yet unknown to me.

Tom Griffin
Director, Language Lab
Northeastern Illinois University
http://www.neiu.edu/~flanglab