LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:19:39 EDT
My apologies for not including (ADVTSG) on this message. I was probably  asleep in front of the computer....

But Read was wide awake!
See below.

Otmar

--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:25:47 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5260 Teleste Educational October Newsletter

Although I personally am happy to receive this information, the message header should indicate ADVERTISING.  Thanks...

>>> LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> 10/20/99 07:43AM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:46:08 +0300
>Subject: Teleste Educational October Newsletter

TELESTE EDUCATIONAL NEWSLETTER
                          OCTOBER, 1999

          I : Spotlight:  www.divace.com
          II: Feedback: Imperata for Organizing Course Materials
          III: Possibilities: The Classroom Space

     A   word  of  thanks  to  all  of  you  who  have  sent  us  notes=
  of
encouragement, and to those of you who have given us insight into where=
 you
are taking your knowledge and experience of ICT, and of Teleste Educati=
onal
software,  within  the ever-changing realm of education.  Some of you  =
have
even  alluded  to  tendencies  beyond  the  walls  of academia and acad=
emic
institutions, and into areas of both business and personal interests.  =
It=92s
good  to  know  that some of our products are helping people make their=
 own
advances within their own individual areas of interest and expertise.

I:  SPOTLIGHT:  www.DIVACE.COM

A  website  especially  for  and  specifically  devoted  to Divace has =
been
established.  It=92s not just an informational website where you can fi=
nd out
more  about  Divace=92s  unique capabilities.  It is set up for users a=
nd for
use, meaning that anyone can now try using this digital recorder and pl=
ayer
- the player can be downloaded for free for a 30-day evaluation period.=

There  is, of course, information.  There is a page describing Divace=92=
s two
=91full  feature=92 versions, Solo and Duo, both of which are digital r=
ecorders
designed  for  schools, language labs and other learning institutions. =
 Duo
is  meant  for  platforms  where there is some teacher-control, and Sol=
o is
meant for =91stand-alone=92 stations where individuals can use Divace f=
or their
own  recording,  use and storing of files.  A separate page has been se=
t up
to  describe  the  Divace  Player version, which is the version that ca=
n be
downloaded.   With  the  Divace Player, you will be able to listen to a=
udio
files, run a specific file on end, and bookmark any material you would =
like
to  return  to.   There  is a =91How To Use Divace=92 page as well, whi=
ch gives
some  examples  of  what  Divace  players  and recorders can be used fo=
r in
classes,  and  some specific applications. There are also three =91samp=
les of
learning  activities=92  -  lesson plans of ready-made exercises that y=
ou can
try with Divace.
     And  last  but  not least, there is a =91Contact Us=92 page, where=
 you can
write to us about your thoughts, and ask questions about Divace.

II:  FEEDBACK: IMPERATA FOR ORGANIZING COURSE MATERIALS

Imperata, which is also now available for a free 30-day trial download =
from
our  website, has been presented as a new software application and acti=
vity
control  package specifically designed for managing a modern, fast teac=
hing
environment.

One  teacher  suggested  that  Imperata  didn=92t have to be used so mu=
ch for
=92classroom  control=92  as  merely for the organization of materials =
at hand.
It  was  mentioned  that  Imperata=92s =94portfolio=94 feature could be=
 used as a
teacher=92s  =94manila folder=94 for class materials, information and e=
ven course
structure.   You  can  create, save and open portfolios containing your=
 own
pre-selected  documents,  programs,  and  even  notes  for  future teac=
hing
sessions.

A  teacher=92s  portfolio  can be more than just a selection of documen=
ts and
programs  for each course or class.  It can also include a favourite la=
yout
of student workstations, a set-up of student groups or, as mentioned ab=
ove,
notes  gathered  together to use for planning.  These will save any tea=
cher
valuable  time  in  the  computer  lab. And a portfolio can be modified=
 and
changed  according  to  teaching  needs,  student  skill-levels  or  co=
urse
profile.

Imagine  that  you  are  teaching  computer  literacy to classes of var=
ying
skill-levels.  For  each  level,  you  can  set  up a seperate portfoli=
o in
advance. The only thing you would then need to do during every lesson w=
ould
be  to  select  the appropriate portfolio from the menu - your entire c=
lass
set-up is there, ready to use.

For  example,  say  that  you may want to present word processing skill=
s to
beginning-level  students.  You  expect  to  be  working with two group=
s of
students.  Rather  than dividing your students into two groups every ti=
me a
lesson  begins,  and  then taking time to search for all of the appropr=
iate
programs,  you  can  pre-define  a  complete portfolio before the cours=
e or
lesson,  and  then start it during the teaching session. In this case, =
your
portfolio, saved as "Word Processor Beginners", might include:

-    student groups already established and arranged
-    a workstation style chosen- e.g. Royal Frogs
-    the Programs and Applications bar set up with Microsoft Word, Note=
pad,
Write Pad, Word Perfect, so that you can illustrate product differences=

-    Lock Operation function made ready, in case you want to lock stude=
nt
PCs at any time
-    Student Screen Monitor function set, so that you can check the
progress of activities
-    the Document bar set up with Word Elegant Letter template, Word
     Contemporary Resume template, a few ClipArt .wmf images etc.

With your whole working environment set up in advance, you will have sa=
ved
yourself a lot of precious time, and lessons can be much more productiv=
e.
And  all  of  the  content  of  the  portfolio  will  be  saved within =
your
portfolios, ready to be used for other courses and classes.

               III:  POSSIBILITIES:  THE CLASSROOM SPACE

     One  thing  that  we  at Teleste Educational are interested in hea=
ring
about, and possibly developing an ongoing dialogue about, are your thou=
ghts
concerning  "student-centered"  styles  of  learning as opposed to lear=
ning
within  a  more  teacher-dominant classroom or language lab space.  Wit=
h an
increased  use  of computers in your classrooms, are you finding that t=
here
are  changes which you are making in your own way of presenting, and us=
ing,
your  teaching  material?   Are  you  discovering that you are handing =
more
control  over  to  your  students?   In  what  ways?   How  do  you see=
 the
differences,  or  similarities, in classroom dynamics?  It would be nic=
e to
read some candid thoughts.

     Please  continue to send us any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, insi=
ghts
and questions you may have about Teleste Educational, our products or t=
heir
use.    And  feel  free  to pass any suggestions you may have about wha=
t we
might  include in future issues of this newsletter, or how to let it be=
tter
serve your specific purposes.
     Thanks again for joining us here.  Keep in touch!

     Teleste Educational
     http://edu.teleste.fi  http://www.divace.com

Propose another receiver for this newsletter and you will get Partner T=
ools
software package for FREE ! Remember to include your postal address.
=