LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:19:36 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:24:10 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5252.6 Real Audio software availability conditions (!)

------------------
I believe the expiration was only with beta versions.  I've had the full-fledged G2 version for some time now.  Although it prompts me occasionally to upgrade because there's an update out, it doesn't require me to do so, and the updates are free.  There are plenty of players (pun intended) in the player field, so Real isn't the only choice.  But it's still a pretty good one.

>>> LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> 10/20/99 07:43AM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Michael Bush" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Michael Bush" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5252.3 Real Audio software availability conditions (!)
>Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:24:42 -0600

------------------
Several messages contained the essence of this quote:
> The Real player software is freeware.

It is true that the basic player is free, but my experience is that the
freeware comes with a timestamp that disables the RealAudio software after a
period of time.  Their marketing approach is designed to get users to try
the software, like it, and then buy the full-fledged package.  Perhaps this
was only with "Beta" versions, but I am not sure of that.  I has happened to
me more than once that when I needed to upgrade the software, the version I
had was out of date and I had to get the upgrade.  Although it was free, it
was still a pain.  If I used this stuff enough, I think it would be worth it
to have a version that would not expire.

For more on their approach see:

http://service.real.com/help/faq/betaexp.html

Indeed, my sense is that a more professional approach would be for labs to
purchase some sort of licensing agreement.  Companies such as RealAudio are
not in business as charitable endeavors whose purpose is making free stuff
available to us.  Somehow they have to make money, and is it is in our best
interest for them to do that if we want to continue to get innovative
products.  Sure they, make money on their server products, but they also
want to sell as many full-featured players as they can.

This said, it is possible at least for the present to install the product
for free and then every several weeks (months?) upgrade each workstation
with a new version.

Cheers,

Mike
Michael Bush