LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:43:20 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
Rosina Neginsky wrote:

> I would appreciate very much some suggestions on memory upgrades. We have a
> very old lab, that has four and five year old computers, Macintoshes. Some
> of our faculty suggested to upgrade these Macintoshes with memory instead
> of buying new computers. Personally I think it is not a good idea. Hence
> before we do it, I would like very much to have a feet back on that issue
> from you. Your opinion and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm assuming you mean RAM and not hard disk space when you say "memory."  RAM
upgrades are the easiest, and now perhaps the cheapest, method of improving the
performance of a computer, but more RAM may or may not give you the upgrade you
need.  For example, application software runs on designated operating system
software (MacOS) and cpu ("processor" or "chip") hardware, so even if you upgrage
the RAM you may have an incompatible processor (e.g., 68k vs. PowerPC, G3, or G4
on the Mac) or system software that is too old (ver. 6.x or 7.x when the current
version is 9.0 on the Mac).  Check the product specifications to see what kind of
RAM your machines take, how many slots are available,  and in what configuration
they can be installed (i.e., in pairs for interleaving).  On the Apple site, you
can view discontinued product spec sheets at

    http://www.info.apple.com/applespec/applespec.taf

I also have a pdf called "Apple Memory Guide."  If you're interested, let me know
and I'll E-mail it to you as an attachment.

Otherwise, there are many things to consider when upgrading a computer, including
whether it is worth it, and I've only scratched the surface here.

John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph (617) 353-7957 fx (617) 353-6195
Lab:  http://www.bu.edu/celop/MLL
CTG:  http://www.bu.edu/celop/CTG