LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:55:11 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Francois Crompton-Roberts" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Francois Crompton-Roberts" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:09:46 +0000
>Subject: Real Audio software availability conditions

One of my German language teachers has asked me to make Real Audio
Player available on our student network so that his students can
access German and Austrian radio stations. Our Computing Services
have asked me to establish that Real Audio Player can indeed be made
available on our Novell network legally. Does anyone know whether we
can we do so legitimately? Its use would indeed be, as the licence
conditions specify, strictly "educational", since Computing Services
are most keen to prevent the gobbling-up of bandwidth by students
listening to pop music while word-processing!

Thanks for any information / suggestions about alternatives. Need I
say there is no budget for the purchase of any software?

Francois C-R