LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:54:55 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 08:19:21 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Karl Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5248 Real Player software and .smi
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

------------------
Dear Rosina and LLTI folks,

According to the Real Server documentation, the .smi file is a key file
that tells the server where to find the different segments of a long Real
presentation. When you click on such a file, your browser opens the Real
Player plugin and the server begins streaming the data. The data is not
saved to disk as in other downloads, so every time you want to hear the
presentation, you have to connect to the server over the net. If the
download is from a reputable site, there is little danger in opening this
link.

I'm very excited about this method of streaming audio over the web: It
means that the user can begin listening right away (while the rest of the
data downloads in the buffer). I have put most of the audio program for our
first-year Spanish course into Real format. We continue to offer the
lessons on cassette in the lab for students who don't have or don't like
computers. The students with computers in their room are thrilled that they
can complete their lab work at midnight (instead of before the 9:30 p.m.
closing time)! Furthermore, Real Server puts a virtual language lab within
the reach of language departments with limited resources: A dedicated
server can be had for well under $5000, with room for the audio programs
for dozens of courses. The encoding process is slightly more tedious than
copying cassettes, but in my experience it has been worth the trouble.

Cordially,
Karl

>Hello All,
>
>Can somebody help to answer these questions?
>
>"Do you know anything about downloading real-time audio files and Real
>Player software?  A live stream radio broadcast I want is in the .smi
>(smil) format.  I apparently have to download it.  There is an icon of
>the Real Player on the page, but RealAudio has a different prefix.
>
>Do you know what .smi is?  Is it safe to download?"
>
>Thank you.
>
>Rosina Neginsky, PhD
>Foreign Languages and Literatures Department,
>University of Wisconsin,
>tel. 920-4247293
>email: [log in to unmask]

Karl W. Fisher