LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:54:49 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:59:36 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5247 multimedia authoring software
>Originator-Info: login-token=Mulberry:01pWt8FgnQ7nsrq+6C5R21lOr8p4gl4A==

I have used Libra quite a bit, and I would recommend it to anyone
interested in its strengths.  It is designed for creating language learning
software specifically, and the tools are well chosen to make creating
certain kinds of lessons relatively easy and quick.  It is excellent for
creating more elaborate lessons, which present the student with video and
audio clips, and test their comprehension with several question formats.
It handles presentation of textual information well.  It can be used in
complex ways, but is not intended to be a high-glitz do everything
multimedia environment, like Director, for example.  In my view, one of its
great strengths is that the creators intentionally left out many things
that did not have a compelling pedagogical purpose.  To find out about
getting Libra, contact Dr. Robert Fischer <[log in to unmask]>, the Libra Project
Director (and also CALICO Executive Director).

I would hesitate to recommend any multimedia authoring software without a
careful analysis of the intended use and intended users.  The number of
unused authoring systems sitting on professors' shelves probably exceeds
the number of completed lessons.  Learning to use any software is hard, and
learning how to create effective CALL lessons presents an additional
learning curve.  Most people don't have the time and focus to teach
themselves both.  Planning software training and lesson development
workshops for the intended authors will increase greatly the success of
whatever authoring software is chosen.

Derek

> --- Forwarded Message from Rosina Neginsky <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Hello All,
>
> Can somebody recommend me a good multimedia authoring software that we
> should be using in the lab? Does somebody know about Libra as an authoring
> software? Can you recommend it? If so, where can we get it?

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-4804 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]