LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 08:25:40 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] (Robert Smitheram) ---

[log in to unmask] writes:
>Help!  My Chinese Faculty tell me that with the combination of MacOS 8.6, Chinese Language Kit 2.0, and NisusWriter 5.1.3, they cannot write via the Traditional Input Method.  The simplified method is reportedly working fine.

The response given by Teri Takehiro "#5242.1 MacOS 8.6, CLK 2.0, and NisusWriter 5.1.3" is the quickest way to resolve the problem but of course you will have to abandon inline input. There are a couple of other solutions that work as well but will allow
you to type inline Chinese, though require some installation (and money in one case).

The solution that costs money is to buy the BoPoMoFo Input method for Traditional Chinese; it is not cheap, about $140 last time I looked but the vendor I used last unfortunately does not list the item anymore. But it is by far the best Chinese input
method for the Mac. See my description of it:

http://www.cet.middlebury.edu/Smitheram/otherDocs/BoPoMoFo.html

Another approach just appeared on the Chinese Mac list. This requires downloading a large 40MB file from Apple, but you get another completely different input method called Hanin that works inline with Nisus and is really rather cool. You can switch to
Pinyin by using the Hanin control panel, then just type one Chinese syllable plus tone number, hit the space bar and you get a Chinese character, now keep on typing and with the next Chinese character, the one before might change according to the
dictionary database. As when you type "ying1+space" you get yinggai de ying, but when you type "wen2+space" you get yingwen de wen and the ying changes to yingwen de ying automatically.

Getting this is quite involved but I do feel it is worth it for those who do have to type Chinese daily. The package you want is: TA-Mac_OS_8.6_Update.smi.bin

and is located:

ftp://ftp.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/Chinese-
Traditional/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_8.6_Update/

Download the gigantic file (doing it early in the morning East Coast time worked for me). What you get is a mountable disk image. Mount the image and look for the tome file. It is in a folder called "Mac OS 8.6" that is buried a couple of folders down.
The names of the other folders are all in Chinese. Open the tome file with the tome viewer:

ftp://physgi.phy.ncku.edu.tw/pub/mac/util/TomeViewer_1.3d3.sit

And expand the following files and put them as indicated:

1. (a) Hanin v5.0                   (put it into Extension Folder)
    (b) HaninSetup v5.0         (put it into Control Panel Folder)

2. Create a new Folder called  "Hanin5" in System Folder.

3. Put the  'HaninDic', 'AdrDic', 'AimeiDic' into "Hanin5" Folder
(mentioned in 2.)

4. Create a new Folder called 'Expert' in 'Hanin5' Folder.

5.Put the following files into 'Expert' Folder:
         Architecture
         Biology
         Buddhism
         ChineseMedicine
         Commerce
         Computer
         Education
         Industry
         Law&Politics
         Military
         Physics&Chemistry
         Sport
         Traffic
         WesternMedicine

Then just restart and a new input method for Chinese will appear. Use the control panel to change from zhuyin fuhao to pinyin as mentioned above. My appreciation to Kai-shao Chen ([log in to unmask]) for this tip. It works with MacOS 8.6 naturally, but
I got it to work with my MacOS 8.5 with CLK 2.0 already installed.

Good luck!

Robert

NB: There are also some other interesting things inside that tome file, including the best code converter for Chinese (including GBK and EUC) (and other languages, as well as various Unicode conversions) called "Chinese Text Converter," and a TrueType
Font editor that handles the larger Chinese fonts (some of what is in there also comes with the CLK 2.0 install.)

--
Robert H. Smitheram
Center for Educational Technology