LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 08:09:16 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Tracy N. Dingess" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #5238.3 Placement testing on-line(!)
>Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:30:18 -0400

------------------
Carol O'Neil,

Thank you for including your site in the current discussion thread.  I
visited the site and found the program to function in what I perceived was
its intended manner.  What role does the test play at your institution?  Is
it a measurement device whose recommendations, the students are free to
follow or ignore as they may wish?  Or, is it a placement tool which the
department requires administration of in order to place students in their
proper levels?  If it is being used for forced placement, is it administered
in a proctored environment?  Otherwise, how does one ensure that the person
taking the exam is the person registered in the test as the examinee?

Other than the question of whether or not you need to ascertain valid
identity, on the casual examination, it seems a good structure.  Oh yes, I
placed into course 1005 for French, if that isn't the beginning level for
introduction to the language, I lucked out by answering randomly and expect
to fail the course as I have had no training and little exposure to the
French language.

Thanks again for sharing.

Tracy D.