LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 08:50:13 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Daniel E. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:28:09 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Daniel E. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5226 Under Attack Again

1.  Does your institution have a language requirement? If yes, what is the requirement and does it apply to all students or only to certain students at your institution?

Yes.

2) If yes, what is the requirement and does it apply to all students or only to certain students at your institution?

The College of Arts and Sciences has a two year requirement. The foreign language requirement may be met in any one of the following ways  1) By passing the 202 course (second semester of intermediate language course or its equivalent in a program abroad), or a language course at the 300 level (advanced language course) or above. Other 200-level courses or courses in English translation do not apply for this requirement. 2) By passing the foreign language portion of the Advanced Placement examination with an appropriate score. This test, sponsored by the College Entrance Examination Board, is usually administered during the junior or senior year in high school. Information on Advanced Placement and acceptable scores is in the Academic Planning chapter of the college Bulletin.  3) For Bachelor of Science students only, this section of the College Requirement may also be met by passing a reading examination in a foreign language over suitable material from within your discipline. Information on this examination is available from any foreign language department.  4) International students whose native language is not English may use English to satisfy the foreign language requirement. (See the Director of International Programs.)  5) Students who are fluent in a language not offered at Miami University must petition the College of Arts and Science Committee of Advisers to satisfy this requirement through another college or university.

The School of Business has a requirement of proficiency at the 102 level (two semesters of elementary language learning).

The School of Applied Science has no formal language requirement but students are required under the Miami Plan to take at least 6 credit hours of Humanities which may include foreign language learning.

The School of Education and Allied Professions has two requirements, depending on the program enrolled: For Foreign Language Cohort Programs, students must complete at least 45 semester hours in a foreign language of the certification field. For Latin, courses related to Latin in the Department of Classics may be used. Study of the selected language begins at a level appropriate to your competence, determined with a placement examination or with a sequence of study prescribed by your academic adviser. Adjustments to the 45 semester-hour total may be made by your academic adviser based upon your beginning foreign language course. You are encouraged to participate in study abroad programs. For all other programs there is no formal language requirement but students are required under the Miami Plan to take at least 6 credit hours of Humanities which may include foreign language learning.

Students in the School of Fine Arts must Complete the College of Arts and Science requirements. French, German, or Italian is recommended to fulfill the foreign language requirement.

The School of Interdisciplinary Studies (Western College Program) has no formal language requirement but students are required under the Miami Plan to take at least 6 credit hours of Humanities which may include foreign language learning.

The Graduate School ranges from no requirement to the entire course of study in a foreign language, depending on the program and degree level desired.

3.  How many credits do the language courses carry?

The typical elementary language course meets for 4 credit hours, four days a week for one hour each. German programs meet for 3 days of class and 1 day of integrated computer assisted language learning.

Upper level courses (intermediate and advanced) typically meet for 3 credit hours on three days a week for one hour each or two days a week for 1.5 hours each.

Capstone courses taken in senior year range from 3-6 credits and is treated as an independent study with a professor.

Independent studies range from 1 hour to 6 hours per week.

4.  Do the courses meet daily M-F or only MWF or some other combination of
days?  (i.e. how many class hours does the course meet on a weekly basis?)

The typical lower level classes meet on Mon, Wed, Thr, and Fri if the class is held from 8:00 - 12:00.
If the class is held after 12:00, they meet on Mon, Tue, Wed, and Thr. Evening classes are held on Mon, Tue, Wed or Mon, Wed, Thr for 1 hour each.

Intermediate and Advanced level courses meet on Mon, Wed, and Fri for one hour or on Tue and Thr for 1.5 hours.

Independent studies vary, but some have been known to meet on a Saturday and Sunday, depending on the needs of faculty and students.

5.  Are students given college credit for language study in high school? If yes, how is eligibility for credit determined?

By passing the foreign language portion of the Advanced Placement examination with an appropriate score. This test, sponsored by the College Entrance Examination Board, is usually administered during the junior or senior year in high school. Information on Advanced Placement and acceptable scores is in the Academic Planning chapter of the college Bulletin.

6.  Please include any other information descriptive of the language
requirement or language courses at your institution not covered by the
above questions.

The Miami Plan is in force for all students studying at Miami, and it can get rather complicated. For a full description and to see it in its full glory, go to

http://www.muohio.edu/bulletin/requirements/miami_plan.html

Addendum:  In my original posting I forgot to ask if any of you are also
currently experiencing a similar attack or if you have experienced one in
the recent past.  If you have, could you please relate what you are doing
or have done to combat it.  Thank you.

The most effective way we have dealt with people who question the validity of learning a foreign language is that we tell them that in today's world, the business or scientific employee cannot afford to go without learning at least one other language other than English. If students don't learn a second or third language, they have no hope whatsoever of competing with other businessmen or scientists who do have the language capability and can work around the world in various situations (such as expanding a business into Russia or Hungary or Pakistan) or meeting with others from different countries in collaborative projects where information must be conveyed precisely and accurately.

Daniel E. Meyers - Director of the Interactive Language Resource Center
47 Irvin Hall, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056-1848
Office: (513) 529-2510  -  Lab: (513) 529-4505  -  Fax: (513) 529-1807
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]  - ICQ#: 48449357
WWW: http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~ilrc/