LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:19:14 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jeff ALLEN <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 10:52:12 +0200
>To: (various lang tech lists & people) <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Jeff ALLEN <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: conf: RIAO 2000
>Cc: (Nicolas Masson) <[log in to unmask]>, (Joseph Mariani) <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
The first submission deadline for the conference indicated below
is in early November.  Please see the website or send e-mail to the
contact address for RIAO2000 (both indicated in the announcement)
for more information.

Best,
Jeff Allen

****We apologize if you receive multiple copies****
****PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY****

CALL FOR PAPERS & APPLICATION DEMONSTRATIONS

                                RIAO 2000
                Content-Based Multimedia Information Access
                                College de France
                                Paris, France
                                April 12-14, 2000

                              Web site: http://host.limsi.fr/RIAO

Organized by:

Centre de Hautes Etudes Internationales d'Informatique Documentaire
(C.I.D., France)
&
Center for the Advanced Study of Information Systems, Inc (C.A.S.I.S., USA)

With the collaboration of AII, ASIS, ELRA, Elsnet, ESCA, Francil
(preliminary list)

INTRODUCTION

The theme of the conference is "Content-Based Multimedia Information
Access". The conference scope will range from the traditional processing of
text documents to the rapidly growing field of automatic indexing and
retrieval of images and speech and, more generally, to all processing of
audio-visual and multimedia information on various distribution venues,
including the Net. The conference is of interest for several scientific
communities, including Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing,
Spoken Language Processing, Computer Vision, Human-Computer
Interaction and Digital Libraries. RIAO 2000 will, thereby, serve as a forum
for cross-discipline initiatives and innovative applications.

RIAO 2000 will present recent scientific progress, demonstrations of
prototypes resulting from this research as well as the most innovative
products now appearing on the market. A worldwide Call for Papers is
addressed to researchers engaged in academic or industrial research. The
associated Call for Applications is addressed to companies and public
organizations developing or marketing hardware or software related to the
conference topics.

The Scientific Committee will select the papers and the Application
Committee will select the innovative applications and products to be
presented at the conference. In order to support the multi-disciplinary goals
of the conference, these international committees include representatives of
different scientific communities.

The RIAO (Recherche d'Informations Assistee par Ordinateur = Computer-
Assisted Information Retrieval) International Conference is held every 3
years. Sites for the conference have been Grenoble (1985), Boston (1988),
Barcelona (1991), New York (1994) and Montreal (1997). Paris will host the
next RIAO conference in Spring 2000. The conference is organized by the
Centre de Hautes Etudes Internationales d'Informatique Documentaire
(C.I.D.) and the Center for the Advanced Study of Information Systems
(C.A.S.I.S.).

RIAO 2000 Conference Topics, under the "Content-Based Multimedia
Information Access" theme:
(please see RIAO2000 website for the complete list of subtopics)

* Document processing
* Information Retrieval
* Spoken Language Processing:
* Natural Language Processing
* Image processing
* System architecture
* Usage and best practice
* Applications

PROGRAM
The Scientific Program will include invited talks, presentations of accepted
papers in oral and poster sessions, referenced demonstrations of innovative
applications and products, and possibly deal sessions, between industry and
academia, and panel sessions. There will be parallel sessions, devoted to a
given research field, and plenary sessions, presenting topics of interest
for all
participants. The mode of presentation (oral versus poster) will be based on
the appropriateness of the paper to that mode of communication, not on the
quality of the paper.

CALENDAR:

* Submission deadline: November 8, 1999
* Notification of acceptance: December 15, 1999
* Submission of complete papers: January 15, 2000
* Final Program: January 25, 2000
* Conference: April 12-14, 2000

CONTACTS:

Email: [log in to unmask]

See the RIAO 2000 Web site below for all information relevant to
submission procedures, the conference, members of the various
conference committees, etc.

http://host.limsi.fr/RIAO

Jeff ALLEN - Technical Manager/Directeur Technique
European Language Resources Association (ELRA)  &
European Language resources - Distribution Agency (ELDA)
(Agence Europe'enne de Distribution des Ressources Linguistiques)
55, rue Brillat-Savarin
75013   Paris   FRANCE
Tel: (+33) 1.43.13.33.33 - Fax: (+33) 1.43.13.33.30
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.icp.grenet.fr/ELRA/home.html