LLTI Archives

October 1999, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:19:12 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 09:52:50 -0500
>From: Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>CC: "Beauvois, Margaret" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Audio compression

Dear LLTIers

One of our professors is doing research on discourse analysis using
Daedalus (synchronous communication). While the students are typing
their remarks, she would like to record their comments on what they are
doing while they are typing their responses. Since most of these
sessions are 45 mins. long, I didn't think it was practical to think of
recording their comments digitally. Do any of you know of a digital
solution to this problem? I would like to avoid having to acquire 25
microphones and analog recorders to solve this problem.

We presently have a 25-station Mac 7500/100 with 64MB of memory running
OS 8.1. Our server is an 8600/130 running AppleShare IP 5.0.

Thank you for your help,

Beth Secrist, Director
Language Resource Center
Dept. of Modern Foreign Langs. & Lits.