LLTI Archives

September 1999, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:04:04 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Dennis Magnuson <[log in to unmask]> ---

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:06:48 -0500

Reply to query for map sources.

At Luther College, we have ordered maps a short while ago and here are some
sources--other than the FL teacher catalogs like Gessler, Teacher
Discovery, etc.

Check out Nystrom (we have an older catalog); call them 1-800-621-8086 and
get a new one.  They have oodles of maps and transparencies, and teaching
units for just about everywhere.  They are trying to be a big multimedia
geography developer too.

Another source to check is Rand McNally: their phone is 800- 678-7263.
Their two websites are:
www.K12online.com  and   www. randmcnally.com

If you have a projection system for a laptop or desktop in your class, you
might want to just shoot on the wall the maps that are in something like
Encarta or Microsoft Bookshelf's atlas, or the Compton's CD Atlas or the
Encyclopedia Britannica CD.

Another source to check is the National Geographic Society homepage; they
have a CD-based Atlas set that may be of help, too, in addition to their
many maps.

No doubt others can add to these few items.  Happy mapping!!

Dennis D. Magnuson
Assoc Prof of Span &
Dir, Lang Lrng Ctr
Luther College