LLTI Archives

September 1999, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:30:31 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:02:27 -0400 (EDT)
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mac G3 serial port and Philippe

Hi guys.  Like many others I am not happy with Steve Jobs about the
elimination of SCSI and serial ports from new Macs (although my Macs
are still easier to deal with than my Pentiums).  My new G3s are
all great and work well.  However, I REALLY want to have five of
them run Philippe which requires a serial connection to my Pioneer 2600
laserdisc players.  As a I result I just bought a geethree Stealth
serial port.  It installs fine and AppleTalk sees it as a COMBO
modem/printer port.  Well Philippe thinks it sees it, too, and thinks
it is starting the program.  Unfortunately the LD player does not
initialize.  I have run setup program and done re-initialization of
the player and tried what I can think of.

Any advice from anyone?  I remember that some Powerbooks had a combo
modem/printer serial port.  Did anyone using them have a workaround?

Anyway until I get this problem solved I am keeping 4 old Macs in
my lab running Philippe.  I would love to move them downstairs into
my new computer teaching lab (which with them would have 22 old Macs).

BEST to all, Mike Ledgerwood
Director of the Language Learning and Resarch Center
State University of New York at Stony Brok