LLTI Archives

September 1999, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:41:13 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Rachel Saury <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:26:45 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Rachel Saury <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Word processing: information to use

------------------
I thought you might find this information useful.  It was put together by a
part-time employee of mine who is researching all of our options so we can
decide which one to support long-term.  There may be more coming!

        Here is what I've found out about fonts in
Windows and WordPerfect:
        Windows 98 has fonts for Estonian, Latvian,
Lithuanian, Albanian, Czech, Croatian, Hungarian, Polish,
Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Bulgarian, Belarusian, Russian,
Serbian, Ukrainian, Greek, and Turkish.  In order to access
these fonts, you have to enable multi-language support.
        WordPerfect: support for multilingual word
processing varies by version.
        For WordPerfect versions 5.1 (DOS) through 8, Corel
offers the WordPerfect Language Module, an add-on utility that
allows you to create multilingual documents within WordPerfect.
Standard cost is $49.95, although there ought to be an academic
version (and academic price).
                Language Module for version 7:
Afrikaans, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French,
Galician, German, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian,
Norwegian, Polish, Portugese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish,
Turkish, Ukrainian.
                Version 8: Afrikaans, Catalan, Czech,
Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek,
Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portugese,
Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.  (Basically every font
that Version 7 has, except Ukrainian).
                Mac version of Language Module:
Afrikaans, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French,
German, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Portugese, Spanish,
Swedish.  (Basically no Slavic languages, and no Greek or
Turkish).
        WordPerfect Office 2000 is WordPerfect's latest
office suite--the academic edition includes a bunch of stuff,like
Quattro Pro, Corel Presentations, Adobe Acrobat Reader, in
addition to WordPerfect 9 (the latest version) and language
modules for the following languages: Afrikaans, Catalan,
Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, Galacian, German,
Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Polish,
Portugese, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Sotho, Spanish, Swedish,
Tswana, Turkish, Ukrainian, Xhosa, and Zulu.  I have no idea
how much it costs--will have to check the website again on that.
WordPerfect 9 and the corresponding Language Module should
be available separately.

Rachel Saury

Rachel E. Saury, Ph.D.
Director
Arts & Sciences Center for Instructional Technology
219 Cabell Hall
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA  22903 USA
        OR
3585 Hungrytown Road
Covesville, VA 22931 USA
wk. 804-924-3470        hm. 804-979-1274  fax  804-924-6875
http://minerva.acc.virginia.edu/~asmedia
http://minerva.acc.virginia.edu/~asmedia/flitig.html
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~res4n
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~res4n/rachel/slfk213.html
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
Breath sweeps mind.