LLTI Archives

September 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 08:34:30 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Primov, Rachida S" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Primov, Rachida S" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Evaluation of Lab Performance
>Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:30:52 -0400

Greetings!
The Foreign Language Lab at the University of Miami is planning to conduct
an evaluation of various performance measures that may associated with Lab
attendance and performance.  For example, I would like to determine if Lab
attendance beyond the minimum required hours is associated with improved
learning - as measured by course grades - in concurrent and/or subsequent
language courses.
I would also like to identify and measure other variables - such as age,
gender, class standing, major, etc. - that may be associated with differing
levels of Lab attendance and consequent language acquisition performance.
In order not to re-invent the wheel, I would like to look at previous
similar efforts so that we can benefit from those experiences in designing
our evaluation.  If anyone, has any information or materials on previous
evaluations that they can share with us, I would be very appreciative.
Similarly, I would welcome any suggestions or ideas on how we can best carry
out this evaluation.  I am particularly interested in references to
published articles and conference papers on this subject.
For my part, I will endeavor to publish the methodology and results of our
evaluation when we are finished.
Thank you very much.

Rachida Salama Primov
The Eleonore Graves Tripp Foreign Languages Laboratory
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
University of Miami
Phone: (305) 284-4858 X.8-7228
Fax: (305) 284-2225
E-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>