LLTI Archives

September 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 08:34:54 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 16:01:13 -0500
>From: "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Proofing Tools--Where are they?

Our university has a "select agreement" with Microsoft, and supposedly
we can load the MS "Proofing Tools" (foreign language spell checkers
and grammar checkers, an MS product) onto individual machines for a
licensing fee of around $13.00 per machine. The trick is, nobody at MS
can tell us where to get the product, at least the version that will
run with MS Word 97.
There is a company called Alki that sells them individually, but when
you ask about "select agreements" and such, they refer you back
to--you guessed it, MS. Phone calls have gone back and forth from us
to MS for months, but MS is simply unable to deliver any information.
Does anybody have a clue on how to unravel this puzzle--it really is
absurd!

David Pankratz
Loyola University Chicago