LLTI Archives

September 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:22:19 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Stephane Charitos <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:36:00 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Stephane Charitos <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5181 MAC OS 8.6 on Power Computing clones

------------------
Hi:

I have an old Power Center at home running 8.6 with no problem whatsoever.

However keep in mind that Power Computing machines cannot use
Macintosh drivers which are needed to smoothly run OS 8.6. This is
because the hard drives in the PC machines were originally formatted
with 3rd party software (usually FWB Software) and must be upgraded
using proprietary drivers from that company. Problem is they charge
you for them so that every time I've upgraded (7.5 --> 8.0 --> 8.5
---> 8.6) I've had to shell out $30 - $40 to them for an updated
driver. I tried to get around the problem by reformating the drive
using Apple's utilities, but that doesn't work so I'm stuck with
buying drivers until I get rid of the machine which I'm loath to do
because it's very reliable.

Best,

Stephane
Dr. Stephane Charitos, Director