LLTI Archives

September 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:09:15 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:  Thu, 9 Sep 1999 11:50:07 -1000
>From: Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Satellite Dish for Uplinks

There has been much discussion on LLTI about downlinking language programs
from satellites, however, there has been little said about uplinking (i.e.
broadcasting) via satellite.  Here at the University of Hawaii our
Center has a dish for uplinks.  I'm wondering if there are other
universities that have dishes for uplinks and how they are using them.
I'm also interested in who their clients are.  Are they doing uplinks for
private sector clients outside the university as well as for departments
and offices within the university?  What are the fees being charged?

It is probably very unusual for a Language Learning Center at a
university to have its own dish for uplinks.  I might add that we are not
under the campus-wide Information Technology Services (ITS), but are a
separate entity within the College of Languages, Linguistics and
Literatures.  The university has undergone several budget cuts and
continues to undergo budget cuts from the governor and legislature.  The
university has been told that it has to find ways to pay its own way.  We
are one of the few that can provide uplink services within our state.
In the present economic climate, we now feel that we have underutilized
our uplink services by limiting them to state educational institutions
such as the public schools.  We also feel that we may be charging too low
a fee.  We are now investigating the possibilities of expanding our
services so we can bring in extra funds to support the language programs.
Therefore, we would like to know what others out there are doing in this
area.

I also have a couple related questions.  What do you charge for downlinks
done for clients other than language departments?  What fees do you charge
for institutional video services?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Daniel Tom
Language Telecommunications, Resource & Learning Center
University of Hawaii
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
FAX:     808-956-5134
Voice:   808-956-5118