LLTI Archives

September 1999, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 08:32:32 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 10:25:05 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #5170 funds for video purchasing

------------------
The Yale situation is almost the opposite of URI's, in that the Language
Lab used to report to ITS but now reports to the Center for Language Study
-- but the issue of who buys language videos and software is still a
complicated one.  It used to be the assumption that such materials were to
be purchased by the language departments themselves (not ITS or the LL),
but not infrequently the departments refused requests by language teachers
for such purchases, claiming lack of funds.  (In some cases the language
teachers believed that funds were available but that the senior members of
the dept. were unwilling to spend money on language pedagogy.)  Sometimes
the LL would then respond to appeals by teachers, but on rather an ad hoc
basis.

There are also campus-wide funding sources, named funds with application
procedures, to which faculty from any department can apply for funds to buy
special materials.  However, those funds are also used for "instructional
innovation grants" (IIGs), grants for materials development and curriculum
development projects.  I think a principled distinction needs to be made
between IIGs and "shopping list requests" for supporting regular ongoing
pedagogical progams, and I think the university has to make explicit who's
responsible for buying what.  The problem is growing, as more and more
teachers want to integrate video into their teaching, not to mention
software.   Where do we draw the line between buying commercial
pre-developed language software and buying tools that teachers can use to
develop their own?

So  -- working out some kind of policy or guidelines or formulas for what
kinds of budgetary allocations should be made where is now part of my
responsibility as Director of Language Study.  (Wish me luck.)  I'm very
eager to hear from other campuses whether anyone has developed such
guidelines and how they work.

        Best,
                Nina

>>Subject: funds for video purchasing
>
>------------------
>The Language Learning Resource Center here at URI has recently shifted to
>the Instructional Technology and Media Services (ITMS) Department.  When we
>were part of the Language Department, we shared resources such as videos
>and software.  Now ITMS buys our software and other supplies, but there is
>a question about who is to buy the videos to be used in the lab by students
>(and checked out by instructors).
>
>Because these materials are used for instruction in the classroom and then
>put on reserve in the lab, it makes sense that the department pays for
>them.  However, since ITMS funds our other needs, why not videos as well?
>
>What do other universities/colleges do in this circumstance?
>
>Mary Fetherston

Nina Garrett
Director of Language Study
Yale University
P.O. Box 208349
New Haven, CT 06520-8349

Tel.  (203) 432-8196
Fax. (203) 432-4485
Campus address: Room 308, 1 Hillhouse Avenue